Workers Exposed to Asbestos After Ceiling Collapse
10/17/14 – Two workers contracted to do asbestos work were rescued after becoming trapped in debris when a ceiling collapsed at a former government building under renovation on Long Island, police say.
The workers, both men, were described as “conscious” and “alert” by police who pulled them out of the rubble after the collapse at the former Department of Social Services building on County Seat Drive in Mineola around 10 a.m. Friday. They are being decontaminated after being exposed to asbestos.
The injured men, aged 22 and 46, and the other 17 workers at the building at the time of the collapse are employees of PAL Environmental Services in Queens, which was hired to do prepare the building for asbestos removal. The building has been unoccupied for several years.
Both injured men are expected to survive. No other injuries were reported.